Monday, September 15, 2014

BEGGIN' FOR CHEAP (Railway Series) Sketch #12


BEGGIN FOR CHEAP (COIN TOSS) THE RAILWAY SERIES

Renée A. Hermiz

EXT. A HARLEM STREET – DAY

SHERIE sees STUBS, a man with stubs for fingers, pick up a
coin from the ground with his stubs.

SHERIE
Dang, Stubs, you can pick up stuff with
your stubs? Here, do it again.

Sherie tosses a coin on the ground.  Stubs picks it up.

SHERIE
Let me see that again.

Sherie tosses another coin down.  Stubs picks it up.

SHERIE
Man, it can’t be that hard.  If I do that, are you gonna give me all my coins back?

STUBS
You ain’t gonna do that.

SHERIE
I didn’t ask you if I could do it. I said are you gonna give me my coins back if I do do it?

STUBS
Yeah alright, I can agree to that cuz you ain’t gonna do it.

Sherie tries to pick up coins with her knuckles but fails.

STUBS
See. I told you, you couldn’t do it.  I told you, you ain’t gettin’ them coins!

SHERIE
There ain’t no need to holler, Stubs.  Damn, if you can do that, you deserve all those coins.

INT. RESTAURANT - DAY

Stubs sits at one of the tables Sherie is waitressing.

STUBS
Hit me up with another cup, sista.

SHERIE
Another cup of coffee? Stubs, are you gonna order anything else?

STUBS
Nah, I got these here coins an’ I wan’ a cup
o’ coffee!
SHERIE
Aw, come on, Stubs.  You got those coins from me.  Man, I gotta make a living, too.  All you’re getting is refills.  I only got two tables and you’re one of ‘em.

Stubs thinks.

STUBS
You bring me some o’ that free bread, yet?

SHERIE
Bread?  Aw, man, we don’t give out free bread, Stubs.

STUBS
There’s free bread if I’m on my last cup o’ coffee.  Or I might just think about havin’ a few more cups.

SHERIE
Alright, alright!  I’ll get out that bread and then you’re gone. Understand?  Or you’ll have stubs for toes, too!

STUBS
Already got ‘em.  Oh—don’t forget some more sugar for my coffee.

EXT – A STREET IN HARLEM – DAY

Sherie walks home from the train.  A few dollars fly out of her pocket.  She runs to grab them, but Stubs gets to them first.

SHERIE
Hey.  Hey, thanks Stubs.

Sherie holds out her hand.

STUBS
Thanks for what?

SHERIE
Ah, c’mon, Stubs.  Don’t play me like that.  Those are my dollars.

STUBS
What are you sayin’ girl?

SHERIE
I’m sayin’ those are mine. Man, that’s all I earned today.

STUBS
Nah, nah … see, these dollars here fell out of my pocket.

SHERIE
No, Stubs.  They fell out of MY pocket.

STUBS
You sayin’ I’m a criminal, girl?  That I took your dollars?

Sherie grabs the dollars from Stubs’ stubs.

STUBS
What? That ain’t right!

SHERIE
Hey, life’s a coin toss.  All’s I’m saying, Stubs … You might be able to pick up my coins, but ain’t no way you’re gettin’ my dollars.

BLACKOUT.


No comments:

Post a Comment