Saturday, September 6, 2014

LEGO MY NOGGIN (Sketch #3)


LEGO MY NOGGIN!

Renée A. Hermiz

EXT. LEGOLAND VILLAGE – DAY

EXEC and BUILDER stare at each other.

EXEC
Morning, Builder.  You’re not looking
like yourself today.

BUILDER
Neither are you, Exec. You look like you’re ready to build something. 

EXEC
I do? How so?

BUILDER
Well, you’ve got on those overalls and the workman pants. Need I say more?

EXEC
Oh these? No need. Just noticed them, myself. I must say I’m having a bit of a “mind-out-of-body” experience today.  I can’t remember why I’m wearing these clothes at all.

BUILDER
You know, come to think of it, I was a bit concerned to find myself in a suit today, too.  But, nothing was worse than to be without my—

EXEC
(raising an arm)
--this?  Without this?

Exec holds up a chainsaw.

BUILDER
Yeah.  That’s my chainsaw.  How is it that my chainsaw is now a part of your arm?

EXEC
Oh, it’s all part and par for the
course with the gear and all. What am
I saying? Gee, Builder, I really don’t know.

BUILDER
Know what else I noticed?

EXEC
The suit makes you smarter?

BUILDER
(Dryly) No. That this is the first time I’ve ever seen you without your briefcase.

EXEC
(gulps)
That’s because you’ve got it in your hand.

BUILDER
Yes.  Yes I do.  I also see that you are
without your umbrella.

EXEC
That’s because you’re holding it in you’re other hand.

BUILDER
Yes.  Yes I am.

Beat.

EXEC
Builder … you want to tell me how
it is that you’re wearing my suit, and carrying my briefcase and umbrella?

BUILDER
I’d be delighted to tell you that Exec,
just as soon as you explain to me how it
is that you came to have my overalls, my gear belt and chainsaw?

Builder and Exec stair stiffly at each other.

EXEC
We can’t move, can we?

BUILDER
No.

EXEC
We’re Legos, aren’t we?

BUILDER
Yes.

EXEC
You’re face is on my body, isn’t it?

BUILDER
Yes. It would seem so.  Do you usually wear glasses with slicked back hair?

EXEC
Yes. They’re permanently painted on me.
Do you usually wear a hardhat with a mean expression on your face?

BUILDER
Yeah, that’s me. That’s permanent, too.

EXEC
Yeah. Your face is on my body. And all we can do is exist this way until Suzie the monster child, switches us back to normal.

Beat.

BUILDER
You’re angry.

EXEC
Yes. How do you know?

BUILDER
Because you’re raising my chainsaw
in the direction of Suzie’s bedroom.

EXEC
She doesn’t have a policeman.

BUILDER
I know. But, it’s just plastic.

EXEC
I know. But it’s all I can do.

BUILDER
There are worse things than this.

EXEC
Worse than getting switched from a rich executive to a burly construction worker and not be able move beyond raising a plastic piece in my hand to display my dismay?

Enter Darth Vader with Yoda’s body.

DARTH VADER
You could be Darth Vader with Yoda’s body …
but not his powers.

EXEC
That’s pretty bad.

DARTH VADER
I’m short, green, old, powerless …
and look like a bobble-head toy. It’s not bad; it’s torture.

EXEC
So, where’s Yoda’s face and your body?

DARTH VADER
Yoda’s hovering Suzie the monster child over the syphilis-ridden Gowanus Canal until she agrees to switch all of our heads back to our bodies.  There’s only one problem.

BUILDER
What?

DARTH VADER
Yoda took my body into that Canal. I don’t want it back; and neither does he. We need two new ones.

EXEC
What is it you’re telling us Darth?

BLACKOUT


No comments:

Post a Comment